Thursday, June 3, 2010

Arm signals for safety's sake

I remember driving my grandmother's 1935 Ford car. It had neat window shades that you could pull up and down. It always seemed to smell musty. But, as I drive today, I am continually amazed at the lack of using turn signals. It's so easy to use. You push the signal up or down to turn left or right. It's so simple and easy. It is a safety feature that lets you know what the driver is planning. You aren't a mind reader so it would surely help if you knew if he was turning and which way. I grew up having to roll down the window and stick my arm out to signal my intentions. You stuck your arm up if you were turning right. If you made a left hand turn, you stuck your arm straight out. To signal a stop, you let your arm drop down. We had to do this in rain, sleet or snow. The rain or snow would pelt us in the face. Things are so easy now. With speeds and traffic increasing, it just takes a little courtesy to turn your signals on. We aren't mind readers. For your safety and mine, please use your turn signals.

No comments:

Post a Comment